Safe work method statement - Plumbing - Brazing of copper pipes
Brazing of copper pipes
Brazing is the jointing process of a copper pipe and fitting, or two copper pipes.
- The copper pipe and fitting are heated with the application of a filler metal resulting in a capillary action filling the joint.
Tasks associated with the brazing of copper pipes include:
- Preparation of copper pipe for brazing;
- Connection of copper pipe and fitting to be brazed;
- Pre-operational inspection of air-acetylene, propane-oxygen or oxy-acetylene equipment to ensure it is safe to use;
- Brazing of copper pipe and fitting using air-acetylene, propane-oxygen or oxy-acetylene equipment;
- Fire fighting controls to be implemented where brazing of pipe and fittings generates sparks.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Preparation of pipe for brazing.
- Connection of pipes and fittings to be brazed.
- Pre-operational inspection of air-acetylene, propane-oxygen or oxy-acetylene equipment.
- Brazing of copper pipe/s and fitting/s.
- Fire fighting controls when brazing copper pipe/s and fitting/s.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for plumbing services - Brazing of copper pipes.
Return to plumbing services
Return to safe work method statements