Safe work method statement - Forklift truck - Pre-operational inspection
What is a pre-operational inspection?
The purpose of conducting a pre-operational inspection of a forklift truck is to assess for potential hazards generated as a result of its operation in the performance of a task. The inspection would include but not be limited to:
- Safety mechanisms/equipment including FOPS and ROPS structures, hydraulic masts, tynes, etc.
- Forklift trucks are available with a number of attachments and devices e.g. personnel platform, lifting attachment, etc.
- Air, hydraulic, exhaust and fuel system leaks.
- Electrical systems.
- Service and emergency brakes.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the conduct of a pre-operational inspection of a forklift truck in the performance of a task would include but not be limited to:
- Failure of hydraulic systems or components where not included as part of the pre-operational inspection;
- Structural damage to forklift truck where mast components, lifting attachments, etc are not inspected as part of the pre-operational inspection;
- Failure to undertake a visual operational inspection of the forklift may result in mechanical damage and failure of plant;
- Operation of forklift by person not assessed as being competent n the conduct of a pre-operational inspection;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Operation of a forklift truck outside of its capabilities.
- Operation of forklift truck without conducting a pre-operational inspection.
- Forklift operator competency.
- Ergonomic matters.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping of a workplace.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the pre-operational inspection of a forklift truck.
Return to forklift truck
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements