Safe work method statement - Forklift truck - Conditions of operation
General operation of forklift
A forklift truck is used for the movement and transfer of loads on pallets, materials at a workplace.
- Forklifts can be used to collect a load from any height, transfer and place it in a designated racking arrangement or storage area.
- A lifting attachment can be fitted to a forklift to carry a load in the crane mode.
Tasks associated with the general operation of a forklift truck include:
- Operation of a forklift in the performance of a task;
- Pre-operational inspection to ensure forklift truck is safe to use;
- Calculate mass of load to ensure it is within rated capacity of forklift;
- Rigging and slinging of a load where a lifting attachment is used;
- Inspection of a work area for hazards and obstructions;
- Reversing operations and movement of forklift truck. Spotter duties;
- Observe safe work practices when operating a forklift truck;
- Knowledge of warning signs/notices at a workplace;
- Refuelling of a forklift truck or changing an LP Gas cylinder;
- Housekeeping of a workplace e.g. storage areas;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons within the immediate area of operation;
- Administrative reporting of faults and damage to a forklift truck.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Operation of a forklift truck.
- Job preparation and planning prior to lifting a load.
- Design of a workplace relative to the operation of a forklift truck.
- Unsafe work practices.
- Refueling of forklift truck.
- Alteration of a forklift.
- Forklift operator not deemed competent.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the general operation of a forklift truck.
Return to forklift truck
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements