Safe work method statement - Drott - Excavation of earth
What is earthworks excavation?
Drotts are commonly used to undertake excavation works at civil and construction workplaces to undertake bulk excavation works, cut and fill operations as well as backfill trenches and load vehicles.
- The nature of the excavation works and associated hazards e.g. confined space or bulk earthworks shall determine the size and type of drott required;
- Drotts are a quick method by which to undertake excavation works and move bulk materials.
Hazards associated with the operation of a drott to undertake the excavation of earth at a civil or construction workplace would include but not be limited to:
- Excavation of live electrical service where not identified;
- Damage to drott where operators have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Persons struck and damage to plant where drott enters trench;
- Collapse of trench or excavation where excavated material is placed or drott is operated within close proximity of an exposed edge.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards by operation of drott.
- Non-identification of underground services.
- Faulty or defective plant.
- Alteration or modification of drott.
- Conduct of pre-operational inspection.
- Undertaking of excavation works.
- Backfilling of trenches and excavations.
- Operation of drott.
- Traversing or movement of drott at a workplace.
- Manual handling requirements.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls form.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off form - Excavation of earth using drott.
Return to drott
Return to earthmoving plant
Return to plant and equipment
Return to safe work method statements