Safe work method statement - Vehicles - Lash loads with webbing assemblies
Lashing loads with webbing strap assemblies
The safe loading of vehicles and restraint of loads is crucial to preventing injury to employees and other road users.
- The vehicle and load restraint equipment intended to be used for the purpose of restraining and transporting a load should be suitable to the load.
- Loads should be arranged to evenly distribute the mass of a load with consideration given to the restraining of a load.
Tasks associated with preventing the movement of a load using webbing strap lashings would include:
- Determination as to suitability of vehicle and load restraint equipment;
- Tie down and lashing of a load using either a tie-down or direct restraint;
- Selection and inspection of webbing strap assemblies to be used for the lashing of a load;
- Securing and tensioning a webbing strap assembly to restrain a load and prevent its movement;
- Securing long loads using stanchions and webbing strap assemblies;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons restraining a load with webbing strap assemblies.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Suitability of vehicle and load restraint equipment.
- Load not restrained.
- Webbing strap assemblies used to lash a load.
- Inspection of ropes.
- Determine the method by which to lash a load e.g. number of lashings.
- Direct restraint of loads e.g. containing, blocking or attaching.
- Tensioning a webbing strap assembly.
- Containing long loads using stanchions and webbing strap assemblies.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for lashing of loads with webbing strap assemblies.
Return to motor vehicle
Return to motor vehicles
Return to safe work method statements