Safe work method statement - Vehicles - Direct restraint of loads
Containment and direct restraint of loads
The containing of a load, securing and tensioning of direct-restraints and/or tie-down lashings is crucial to preventing injury to employees and other road users.
Tasks associated with containing a load, securing and tensioning of direct-restraints and/or tie-down lashings to prevent the movement of a load would include:
- Determination as to suitability of vehicle and load restraint equipment;
- Direct restraint and tie-down lashing of a load to prevent its movement;
- Containment of loads using vehicles with rigid side bodies, gates, etc;
- Containment and restraining of loads within a shipping container using blocking, packing and lashings;
- Fitment of a tarpaulin to a vehicle carrying light bulk loads;
- Secure and release of tautliner curtains fitted to a vehicle;
- Use of blocking with direct restraints and tie-down lashings to restrain a load;
- Restraint of vehicles and mobile plant with direct restraints and tie-down lashings;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons restraining a load with direct-restraints and/or tie-down lashings.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Suitability of vehicle and load restraint equipment.
- Load not restrained.
- Loads not contained when transported by a vehicle.
- Packing and restraint of loads within a shipping container.
- Fitment of tarpaulin to a vehicle.
- Secure and release of tautliner curtains.
- Use of blocking when restraining a load.
- Use of direct restraints and tie-down lashings to restrain vehicles and mobile plant.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the containment and direct restraint and tie down of loads.
Return to motor vehicle
Return to motor vehicles
Return to safe work method statements