Sample safe work method statement
Mobile scaffold safety
A mobile scaffold or modular scaffold is an independent mobile scaffold tower that is freestanding and mounted on castors. It incorporates work platform ladder access providing persons access to a scaffold work platform.
- The movement, relocation and set-up of a mobile scaffold shall be undertaken in a controlled manner so as to not cause harm or risk of injury.
Tasks associated with the use, relocation and movement of a mobile scaffold include:
- Confirmation by way of hand over certificate e.g. scaffold handover certificate stating the mobile scaffold tower is erected and compliant with scaffold design and scaffold drawing for the mobile scaffold;
- Interpret scaffold design plan requirements and scaffolding safety tips for a mobile scaffold;
- Pre operational inspection of mobile scaffold for compliance with australian standard for scaffolding, scaffolding regulations and scaffolding code of practice;
- Work in an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical line or service when moving, relocating or setting up a mobile scaffold;
- Mobile scaffold safety when using a mobile scaffold to work at heights;
- Work in an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical line or service when moving, relocating, setting up or using a mobile scaffold to work at heights;
- Hazardous manual tasks with moving, relocating, setting up or using a mobile scaffold;
- Selection and use of personal protective equipment;
- Compliance with specific controls as per a work health and safety, australian scaffolding regulations, scaffolding code of practice, australian standards;
- Assess the risk to workers moving, relocating, setting up or using a mobile scaffold by way of scaffold risk assessment.
Health and safety training
A person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) has a health and safety duty to provide workplace health and safety training and scaffold safety training for workers as to how to move, relocate, set up or use mobile scaffolding.
Training employees as to the safe work procedures when moving, relocating, setting up or using mobile scaffolding shall include:
- Health and safety information and guidelines for scaffolding as to mobile scaffold safety and how to move, relocate, set up or use mobile scaffolding as per scaffolding rules and regulations.
- Health and safety instruction as to how to move, relocate, set up or use mobile scaffolding and undertake scaffold inspection of the mobile scaffolding as per a scaffolding checklist.
- Health and safety training e.g. on the job training relevant to safe work practices implemented in the safe movement, relocation, set up or use of mobile scaffolding to safety standards australia scaffolding safety rules.
- Training supervision of workers in the implementation of safe work procedures to eliminate or minimise scaffolding hazards risks when moving, relocating, setting up or using a mobile scaffold as per workplace health and safety training requirements and scaffold risk assessment.
Safe work method statement includes
Control measures for mobile scaffold safety
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or serious injury to workers moving, relocating, setting up or using mobile scaffolding are addressed in the mobile scaffold safety safe work method statement as per the following:
- Workplace consultation with workers as to the safe movement, relocation, set up or use of mobile scaffolding as per work health and safety legislation, scaffolding regulations, scaffold code of practice.
- Scaffolding hazards and hazards in the workplace as a result of moving, relocating, setting up or using a mobile scaffold.
- Planning and confirmation as to safe scaffold erection of mobile scaffolding by way of scaffold handover certificate.
- How to interpret scaffolding design plan and scaffold drawing for altering the design or construction of a mobile scaffold e.g. dismantle scaffolding.
- Pre operational inspection of mobile scaffold as per mobile scaffold regulations and scaffold checklist to ensure mobile scaffolding is compliant with scaffold standards and in a safe working condition and free of damage or defects.
- Working in an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical service or electrical part.
- Set-up and use of mobile scaffolding to work safely at heights.
- Movement and relocation of a mobile scaffold to work safely at heights.
- Work safely at heights when working from a mobile scaffold platform.
- Controls to implement if the mobile scaffold has contact with energized electrical equipment or flash-over occurs.
- Hazardous manual tasks identifying manual handling risks and manual handling techniques to be implemented when moving, relocating, setting up or using aluminium mobile scaffolding.
- PPE personal protective equipment requirements as per a scaffold risk assessment.
- Workplace health and safety training for employees addressing construction skills training and work safety training relevant to mobile scaffold safety.
- Workplace housekeeping addressing safety issues in the workplace and safe work and environments when moving, relocating, setting up or using mobile scaffolding.
- Compliance with specific control measures for mobile scaffold safety imposed by a workplace health and safety regulation, scaffolding regulations, scaffolding code of practice and australian standard AS/NZS 1576.1 Scaffolding - General requirements, AS/NZS 1576.3 Scaffolding - Prefabricated and tube-and-coupler scaffolding, AS/NZS 4576 Guidelines for scaffolding.
- Operational risk assessment of workers undertaking a hazard identification and risk assessment of safety hazards and risks when to ensure mobile scaffold safety during the safe movement, relocation, set up or use of mobile scaffolding.
- Failure to monitor implemented safety controls as per the health and safety hierarchy of control measures.
- Risk matrix and descriptors incorporating risk analysis matrix, risk probability matrix and risk consequence matrix.
- Other hazards, other risks at a workplace and work health and safety procedures and controls identified when moving, relocating, setting up or using aluminium mobile scaffolding.
- Approval form including change management approval.
- Mobile scaffold safety safe work method statement sign off sheet.