Safe work method statement - Lifting gear - Lifting slings
Lifting gear and slings are typically used when slinging or rigging a load for the purpose of hoisting, raising or lowering a load using a hoisting appliance.
- Lifting gear can incorporate but not be limited to include lifting, slings, beams, shackles, etc.
Tasks associated with the handling, use and storage of lifting gear would include:
- Inspection, handling and use of lifting gear and slings;
- Determining the mass of a load, object or item to be lifted given its slinging configuration;
- Identification of faulty or damaged lifting slings and gear used in lifting operations;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn when handling or using lifting gear;
- Assessment of work environment for hazards and risks.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Inspection, handling and use of lifting slings.
- Determine the mass of a load, object or item to be lifted given its slinging configuration.
- Faulty or damaged lifting slings and gear used in lifting operations.
- Personal protective equipment requirements
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for lifting gear and slings.
Return to plant and equipment
Return to safe work method statements