Safe work method statement - Forklift truck - Slinging and lifting of loads
Slinging and lifting of loads
A forklift truck is capable of lifting loads in the pick and carry mode when fitted with a lifting attachment.
- A lifting attachment having a specified SWL or WLL is to be engineer certified and designed to an applicable engineering design standard.
- Lifting gear and slings shall be of an approved type e.g. SWL, grade, classification, etc.
Tasks associated with the lifting of loads in the pick and carry mode when a forklift is fitted with a lifting attachment include:
- Operation of forklift with a lifting attachment in pick and carry mode;
- Pre-operational inspection to ensure forklift truck is safe to use;
- Calculate mass of load to ensure it is within rated capacity of forklift;
- Rigging and slinging of a load where a lifting attachment is used;
- Inspection of a work area for hazards and obstructions;
- Ability to interpret a load-rating chart and determine safe capabilities of a forklift;
- Assessment of work environment for hazards and risks;
- Housekeeping of a workplace e.g. storage areas;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons within the immediate area of operation;
- Administrative reporting of faults and damage to a forklift truck.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Operation of forklift truck in the pick and carry mode fitted with a lifting attachment.
- Interpreting a load-rating chart for a forklift.
- Miscommunication between forklift operator and other personnel.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping of a workplace.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the slinging and lifting of loads with a forklift truck.
Return to forklift truck
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements