Sample safe work method statement
Safety observer responsibilities
The role of a safety observer is to solely observe personnel working in a potentially hazardous situation and warn them when necessary to prevent inadvertent contact with live electrical equipment.
- Provide first aid assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Remain at the work site at all times whilst a potential electrical safety hazard exists.
Safety duties and responsibilities
Safety duties and responsibilities associated with performing the role of a safety observer would include:
- Planning/preparation to identify all potential electrical safety hazards when observing work undertaken on or in the vicinity of energized electrical equipment;
- Appointment of safety observer to observe and monitor work undertaken by electrical workers on or within the vicinity of energised electrical equipment;
- Duties and responsibilities of a electrical safety spotter when observing work undertaken on or in the vicinity of energized electrical equipment;
- Specific controls to be implemented as per a electrical safety regulation, electrical safety code of practice or electrical safety standards when assigned to the role of safety;
- Selection of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- How to conduct a hazard identification and assess risk to workers assigned to the role of a electrical safety spotter.
Health and safety training
A person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) has a health and safety duty to provide workplace health and safety training and electrical spotter training for workers as to electrical safety observer responsibilities of a spotter when observing and warning electrical workers against unsafe approach to energized electrical equipment and other potential electrical safety hazards.
Training employees as to the safety duties and responsibilities of a spotter and electrical safety procedures when undertaking the role of a electrical safety spotter shall include:
- Health and safety information and electrical safety topics as to the role of a electrical safety spotter, job safety observation and essential safety measures as per code of practice for safe electrical work and electrical safety standards.
- Health and safety instruction as to essential safety measures in job safety observation of electrical safety procedures as a safety spotter.
- Health and safety training e.g. on the job training, electrical spotter training relevant to job safety observation and safety observer responsibilities when undertaking a safe work procedure for electrical work on energized electrical equipment.
- Training supervision of workers in the implementation of electrical safety procedures and essential safety measures as per workplace health and safety training requirements and electrical safety standards when undertaking electrical safety observer responsibilities.
Safe work method statement includes
Safe work procedure for electrical work
Control measures e.g. appointment of electrical safety observer responsibilities to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or serious injury to workers and ensure workplace electrical safety when electrical workers are working within the vicinity of energized electrical equipment are addressed in the safety observer responsibilities safe work method statement as per the following:
- Workplace consultation with workers as to electrical hazards, electrical safety observer responsibilities, electrical safety procedures, electrical safety topics and safe work procedure for electrical work as per work health and safety legislation and code of practice electrical work.
- Electrical hazards and hazards in the workplace as a result of working within the vicinity of energized electrical equipment.
- Planning and preparation identification of potential electrical hazards when performing the role of electrical safety spotter whilst observing and warning electrical workers against unsafe approach to energized electrical equipment and other potential electrical safety hazards.
- Appointment of a qualified and competent person having completed electrical spotter training as a safety observer to observe and warn electrical workers against unsafe approach to energized electrical equipment and other potential electrical safety hazards.
- Safety duties and responsibilities of a electrical safety spotter e.g. job safety observation, safety observation system when observing electrical workers within the vicinity of energized electrical equipment.
- Safe work procedures and safe working instructions as per electrical safety procedures and essential safety measures for workplace electrical safety.
- PPE personal protective equipment requirements as per a risk assessment relating to the responsibilities of a spotter relative to a safe work procedure for electrical work.
- Workplace health and safety training for employees addressing construction skills training, work safety training electrical safety training, electrical spotter training relevant to safety observer responsibilities.
- Workplace housekeeping addressing safety issues in the workplace.
- Compliance with specific control measures imposed by a workplace health and safety regulation, electrical safety code of practice and australian standard ASTM D178-01 Standard specification for rubber insulating matting, AS 1657 Fixed platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders - Design, construction and installation, AS/NZS 1715 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective devices, AS/NZS 1891.4 Industrial fall-arrest systems and devices - Selection, use and maintenance, AS/NZS 1892.1 Portable ladders - Metal, AS 1892.2 Portable ladders - Timber, AS/NZS 1892.3 Portable ladders - Reinforced plastic, AS/NZS 1892.5 Portable ladders - Selection, safe use and care, AS 2865 Confined spaces, AS/NZS 3000 Electrical installations, AS/NZS 3012 Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites, AS/NZS 3760 In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment, AS 4741 Testing of connections to low voltage electricity networks, AS/NZS 4836 Safe working on or near low-voltage electrical installations and equipment, AS/NZS ISO 31000 Risk management - Principles and guidelines.
- Operational risk assessment of workers undertaking a hazard identification and risk assessment of safety hazards and risks when observing electrical workers within the vicinity of energized electrical equipment.
- Failure to monitor implemented safety controls as per the hierarchy of hazard control.
- Risk matrix and descriptors incorporating risk analysis matrix, risk probability matrix and risk consequence matrix.
- Other hazards, other risks at a workplace and work health and safety procedures and controls identified as part of the safety duties and responsibilities of a safety observer when observing electrical workers within the vicinity of energized electrical equipment.
- Approval form including change management approval.
- Safety observer responsibilities safe work method statement sign off sheet.