Safe work method statement - Structural steel erection - Lifting of structural components
Mechanical handling of components
The mechanical lifting of a structural steel frame component is the slinging, movement and placement of a load using a hoisting appliance e.g. crane.
Tasks associated with the mechanical lifting of structural steel frame components would include:
- Job preparation and planning associated with the slinging and lifting of structural steel frame components;
- Pre-operational inspection of hoisting appliance;
- Interpretation of information contained on a data plate or load chart;
- Selection and inspection of lifting gear used in the hoisting of structural steel frame components;
- Lifting of structural steel frame components in an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical service or electrical part;
- Slinging and lifting of structural steel frame components using a crane.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, serious injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with workers.
- Generation of hazards.
- Job preparation and planning associated with the sling and lifting of structural steel frame components.
- Method by which to conduct a pre-operational inspection of plant.
- Interpretation of information contained on a data plate or load chart.
- Method of inspecting and using lifting gear.
- Operation of hoisting appliance to lift structural steel frame components.
- Exclusion zone for overhead electrical services and electrical parts.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for structural steel erection - Mechanical handling of structural steel components.
Return to structural steel erection
Return to safe work method statements