Safe work method statement - Structural steel erection - Erection of roof rafter
Erection of a structural steel rafter
A structural steel rafter is a component of a structural steel framework associated with a building or structure.
Tasks associated with erection of a rafter associated with a structural steel frame include:
- Planning and set out of columns, rafters, etc, relevant to supporting a rafter;
- Working at heights when erecting, positioning and connecting a rafter to a structural steel column;
- Plant used to erect and connect a rafter to a structural steel column e.g. pneumatic equipment;
- Lifting of a rafter in an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical service or electrical part;
- Lifting and positioning of a rafter using a mobile crane;
- Erection, securing and temporary guying of a rafter to a structural steel column;
- Connection, bolting and securing of a rafter to a structural steel column.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, serious injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with workers.
- Generation of hazards.
- Planning and set out for a rafter associated with a structural steel frame.
- Working at heights erecting and connecting a structural steel rafter to a column using an EWP or fall arrest system.
- Environmental hazards.
- Plant used in the erection and connection of a structural steel rafter to a column.
- Exclusion zone for overhead electrical services and electrical parts.
- Lifting of a structural steel rafter using a crane.
- Erection, securing and temporary guying of a structural steel rafter.
- Connection and bolting of a structural steel rafter to a column.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for structural steel erection - Erection of a structural steel rafter.
Return to structural steel erection
Return to safe work method statements