Safe work method statement - Steel reinforcement - Cutting of reinforcement
Cutting of steel reinforcement
Steel reinforcement is used in the construction of concrete encased structures e.g. floors, walls, columns, etc.
- Steel reinforcement shall where necessary be cut to a required length using bolt cutters, angle grinder, drop saw or oxy acetylene equipment.
Tasks associated with the cutting of metal studs include:
- Measuring and marking length of metal studs to be cut;
- Use of bolt cutters to cut steel reinforcement;
- Use of angle grinder to cut steel reinforcement;
- Use of drop saw to cut steel reinforcement;
- Use of oxy acetylene to cut steel reinforcement;
- Pre-operational inspection of plant used to cut steel reinforcement;
- Selection of correct cutting disc to cut steel reinforcement;
- Operation of plant for the cutting of steel reinforcement;
- Controlling hazards generated by cutting steel reinforcement;
- Operation of fire fighting equipment;
- Manual handling issues when handling and cutting steel reinforcement;
- Personal protective equipment to be worn when handling and cutting steel reinforcement.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Measuring length of steel reinforcement to be cut.
- Using bolt cutters to cut steel reinforcement.
- Using an angle grinder to cut steel reinforcement.
- Using an drop saw to cut steel reinforcement.
- Using oxy acetylene equipment to cut steel reinforcement.
- Faulty or defective plant.
- Selection of cutting discs.
- Guarding requirements for plant.
- Alteration or modification of plant.
- Fire fighting equipment.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for steel reinforcemnt - Cutting of steel reinforcement.
Return to steel reinforcement
Return to safe work method statements