Safe work method statement - Rubbish collection - Manual loading of rubbish
Loading of rubbish to a collection vehicle
A heavy vehicle fitted with a hydraulically controlled compactor unit is used for the collection and compaction of debris and rubbish placed in the hopper unit.
- Debris and rubbish is manually collected and loaded into the hopper by persons.
- A packer plate is activated within the hopper thus causing the rubbish in the hopper to be crushed and compacted inside the body of the compactor.
Tasks associated with the collection and loading of debris and rubbish into a hydraulically controlled compactor unit include:
- Working within vicinity of hopper and packing plate when loading debris;
- Working within immediate vicinity of collection vehicle;
- Recognition of audible and visual alarms fitted to the vehicle and compactor unit;
- Reversing operations and movement of vehicle. Spotter duties;
- Manual handling and loading of debris and rubbish;
- Knowledge of warning signs/notices relative to controls;
- Operation of packer plate as per manufacturers instructions;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons collecting and loading debris and rubbish.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Operation of a rubbish collection vehicle for the purpose of collecting debris and rubbish.
- Collection and loading of debris and rubbish into the hopper of a hydraulically controlled compactor unit.
- Operation of packer plate to crush and compress debris and rubbish.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the loading of rubbish to a rubbish collection vehicle.
Return to rubbish collection vehicle
Return to motor vehicles
Return to safe work method statements