Safe work method statement - Rubbish collection - Operation of vehicle
Operation of rubbish collection vehicle
A rubbish collection vehicle is a heavy vehicle fitted with a hydraulically controlled compactor unit used for the collection and compaction of debris and rubbish.
- Debris and rubbish is manually collected and loaded into the hopper.
- A packer plate is activated within the hopper thus causing rubbish to be crushed and compacted inside the body of the compactor.
Tasks associated with the operation of a rubbish collection vehicle would include:
- Pre-operational inspection of rubbish collection vehicle;
- Operation of rubbish collection vehicle on a public road or carriageway;
- Reversing and manoeuvring operations of a rubbish collection vehicle. Spotter duties;
- Recognition of audible and visual alarms fitted to the vehicle and compactor unit;
- Operation of packer plate to crush and compress debris and rubbish;
- Operation of hydraulic functions to eject contents of a compactor unit;
- Towing and retrieval of rubbish collection vehicle from a landfill situation;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area
- Assess risk to persons operating a rubbish collection vehicle.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Operation of rubbish collection vehicle without conducting a pre-operational inspection.
- Operation of a rubbish collection vehicle.
- Operation of packer plate to crush and compress debris and rubbish.
- Operation of hydraulic functions when ejecting the contents of a compactor unit.
- Towing and retrieval of collection vehicle from a landfill situation.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for the operation of a rubbish collection vehicle.
Return to rubbish collection vehicle
Return to motor vehicles
Return to safe work method statements