Safe work method statement - Plumbing - Clean and glue PVC pipes
Cleaning and gluing of PVC pipes
PVC pipes are primarily used to carry wastewater between a given point and a discharge point.
- Following the cutting of a PVC pipe it is necessary to clean the pipe prior to priming and gluing the pipe and associated fittings.
Tasks associated with the cleaning and gluing of PVC pipes include:
- Handling of priming fluid and solvent cement in the jointing of PVC pipes;
- Cleaning and jointing of PVC pipes;
- Decanting of priming fluid and solvent cement to a secondary container;
- Manual handling issues when decanting hazardous substances;
- Personal protective equipment to be worn when handling hazardous substances, etc.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Handling of hazardous substances in the jointing of PVC pipes.
- Cleaning and jointing of PVC pipes.
- Decanting of hazardous substances to a secondary container.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for plumbing services - Cutting and gluing of PVC pipes.
Return to plumbing services
Return to safe work method statements