Safe work method statement - Plasterboard - Cutting of metal studs
Cutting of metal studs
Metal studs are used to construct a lightweight frame intended to support plasterboard wall sheeting.
- Metal studs shall where necessary be cut to a required length using hacksaw, angle grinder or drop saw.
Tasks associated with the cutting of metal studs include:
- Measuring and marking length of metal studs to be cut;
- Use of hacksaw to cut metal studs;
- Use of angle grinder to cut metal studs;
- Use of drop saw to cut metal studs;
- Pre-operational inspection of plant used to cut metal studs;
- Selection of correct cutting disc to cut metal studs;
- Operation of plant for the cutting of metal studs;
- Controlling hazards generated by cutting metal studs;
- Operation of fire fighting equipment;
- Manual handling issues when handling and cutting metal studs;
- Personal protective equipment to be worn when handling and cutting metal studs.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Measuring length of metal studs to be cut.
- Using hacksaw to cut metal studs.
- Using angle grinder to cut metal studs.
- Using drop saw to cut metal studs.
- Faulty or defective plant.
- Selection of cutting discs.
- Guarding requirements for plant.
- Alteration or modification of plant.
- Fire fighting equipment.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for plasterboard services - Cutting of metal studs.
Return to plasterboard and ceiling services
Return to safe work method statements