Safe work method statement - Skid steer loader - Inspection of hydraulic hose assemblies
Why inspect hydraulic assemblies?
The purpose of inspecting the hydraulic hose assemblies, hoses and components of a skid steer loader is to assess for potential hazards generated as a result of operating the skid steer loader in the performance of a task.
The inspection would include but not be limited to:
- Leaking ports.
- Damaged or missing hose clamps, guards, or shields.
- Excessive dirt and debris around hoses and associated fittings.
- The hydraulic system fluid - level, type, contamination, condition, and air entrainment.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the inspection of hydraulic hose assemblies, hoses, etc, would include but not be limited to:
- Failure of hydraulic systems or components resulting in burns and injuries to persons where not included as part of the pre-operational inspection;
- A whipping hose assembly is likely to result in burns from exposure to expelled fluids, fire and explosions, static electric discharge, electric shock, etc;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards through conduct of inspection.
- Failure of hydraulic hose assemblies and other components.
- Failure resulting in a whipping hose assembly.
- Scheduled maintenance program/planned inspection intervals of hydraulic hose assemblies.
- Accessing areas of a skid steer loader.
- Manual handling requirements.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls form.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off form - Inspection of hydraulic hose assemblies and fittings.
Return to skid steer loader
Return to earthmoving plant
Return to plant and equipment
Return to safe work method statements