Safe work method statement - Scissor lift - Positioning and set-up
Positioning and set up of a scissor lift
Scissor lifts are positioned and set up on either ground or supporting surfaces for the purpose of gaining access to working platforms, aerial towers, buildings facades and other areas at a height.
- The positioning and set up of a scissor lift is critical to its safe operation and the prevention of the scissor lift overturning when the platform is in a raised position.
- A surface where a scissor lift is to be positioned and set up, should be assessed by a competent person for structural adequacy.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the positioning and set up of a scissor lift in the performance of a task would include but not be limited to:
- An inadequate work surface or uncompacted ground surface intended to support a scissor lift shall potentially expose persons to death or injury and structural failure of the scissor lift;
- Damage to scissor lift where operators have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Death or serious injury to persons where an operator has not been instructed as to the controls to implement when a scissor lift has contact with an electrical part;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Faulty and defective plant.
- Accessing and working from the platform of a scissor lift.
- Information contained on a data plate or load chart.
- Job preparation and planning prior to operation.
- Structural adequacy of a supporting surface.
- Alteration or modification of a scissor lift.
- Pre-operational inspection.
- Operation of scissor lift.
- Accessing a work area or platform from the platform of a scissor lift.
- Contact with overhead electrical parts.
- Movement of a scissor lift on a road, street, carriageway.
- Operation of scissor lift in a confined space.
- Vibration caused by operation of scissor lift.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for positioning and set up of a scissor lift.
Return to scissor lift
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements