Safe work method statement - Scissor lift - Accessing areas
Accessing a work area from a scissor lift
Scissor lifts are commonly used to access working platforms, aerial towers, buildings facades and other areas at a height to undertake construction or maintenance works.
- The nature of work/s to be undertaken and associated hazards shall determine the method by which persons shall access a working platform from a scissor lift.
- Scissor lifts are an effective and safe means of providing employees with access to work platforms, towers, etc.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with gaining access to a work area from the platform of a scissor lift would include but not be limited to:
- Damage to scissor lift where persons have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Persons are at risk of death where the scissor lift has contact with overhead electrical services;
- Persons are at risk of falls from heights where controls are not employed to ensure safe access to a work area;
- Death or serious injury to persons where a scissor lift fails due to ground subsidence not identified in a pre-start check;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Identification and location of overhead and underground services.
- Working with faulty and defective plant.
- Positioning a scissor lift to gain access to a work area or platform.
- Accessing a work area or platform from the platform of a scissor lift.
- Contact with overhead electrical parts.
- Vibration caused by operation of scissor lift.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for accessing a work area from a scissor lift.
Return to scissor lift
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements