Safe work method statement - Grader - Operation of grader
Operating a grader
A grader is a self-propelled articulating or rigid framed wheeled machine, designed to cut, move and place construction materials using a centrally mounted blade and may include forward and/or rear mounted rippers/scarifiers.
- The nature of the work to be performed and associated hazards shall determine the size and type of grader required.
- The blade and attachment controls of a grader are normally hydraulic; however, they may be mechanical.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the general operation of a grader in the performance of a task would include but not be limited to:
- Damage to grader where operators have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk when cutting and maintaining drains, forming/upgrading/maintaining roads, mixing/spreading materials, etc.
- Persons struck and damage to property and plant where a grader is not operated correctly on a roadway in the cutting and trimming of batters and trimming of road sub-grades and pavements.
- Death or serious injury to persons where an operator has not been instructed as to the controls to implement when operating a grader on an incline.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards through operation of grader.
- Faulty or defective plant.
- Accessing cabin of grader.
- Data plate and load chart information.
- Incompatible attachments.
- Alteration or modification of grader.
- Conduct of pre-operational inspection.
- Operation of grader in the performance of a task.
- Traversing or movement of grader on roadway or street.
- Movement and repositioning of grader on an inclined or sloping surface.
- Operation of grader in a confined space
- Manual handling requirements.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls form.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off form - Operation of grader.
Return to grader
Return to earthmoving plant
Return to plant and equipment
Return to safe work method statements