Safe work method statement - Excavator - Loading and unloading
Loading and unloading of excavator
Excavators are typically transported between workplaces on a truck body, trailer or low loader, requiring a person to either load or unload an excavator utilizing access ramps or other means.
Factors an operator should consider when loading or unloading an excavator:
- Position of vehicle, trailer or low loader to excavator.
- Load capability of ramps for mass weight of excavator.
- Location of recently backfilled trenches.
Hazards associated with the loading and unloading of an excavator from a truck, trailer or low loader, would include but not be limited to:
- Unanticipated movement of excavator during loading/unloading operations potentially exposes persons to risk of death or serious injury and damage to plant should an excavator roll off the ramps.
- Environmental factors e.g. gradient of surface, overhead services, etc are potential hazards that may result in death or injury to multiple persons, damage to plant and property.
- Operation of excavator on public roadway without necessary controls may result in death or injury to multiple persons, damage to property.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards through loading and unloading of an excavator.
- Loading and unloading of an excavator.
- Towing and retrieval of an excavator.
- Movement of excavator on roadway or street.
- Manual handling requirements.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls form.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off form - Loading and unloading of excavator.
Return to excavator
Return to earthmoving plant
Return to plant and equipment
Return to safe work method statements