Safe work method statement - Elevated work platform - Positioning and set-up
Positioning and set up of an elevated work platform
Elevated work platforms are positioned and set up on either ground or supporting surfaces for the purpose of gaining access to working platforms, aerial towers, buildings facades and other areas at a height.
- The positioning and set up of an elevated work platform is critical to its safe operation and the prevention of the EWP overturning when the boom is in a raised position.
- A surface where an elevated work platform is to be positioned and set up, should be assessed by a competent person for structural adequacy.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the positioning and set up of an elevated work platform in the performance of a task would include but not be limited to:
- An inadequate work surface or uncompacted ground surface intended to support an elevated work platform shall potentially expose persons to death or injury and structural failure of the EWP;
- Damage to elevated work platform where operators have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Death or serious injury to persons where an operator has not been instructed as to the controls to implement when an elevated work has contact with an electrical part;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Faulty and defective plant.
- Accessing and working from the basket of an elevated work platform.
- Information contained on a data plate or load chart.
- Job preparation and planning prior to operation.
- Structural adequacy of a supporting surface.
- Alteration or modification of an elevated work platform.
- Pre-operational inspection.
- Operation of elevated work platform.
- Accessing a work area or platform from the bucket of an EWP.
- Contact with overhead electrical parts.
- Movement of an EWP on a road, street, carriageway.
- Operation of EWP in a confined space.
- Vibration caused by operation of EWP.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for positioning and set up of an elevated work platform.
Return to elevated work platform
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements