Safe work method statement - Elevated work platform - General operation
Operation of an elevated work platform
Elevated work platforms are commonly used to access working platforms, aerial towers, buildings facades and other areas at a height to undertake construction or maintenance works.
- The nature of work/s to be undertaken and associated hazards shall determine the method by which persons shall determine the size and type of an elevated work platform.
- Elevated work platforms are an effective and safe means of providing employees with access to work platforms, towers, etc.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with the general operation of an elevated work platform in the performance of a task would include but not be limited to:
- Structural failure of an elevated work platform when set up on a structurally inadequate surface or uncompacted ground surface;
- Damage to elevated work platform where operators have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Death or serious injury to persons where an operator has not been instructed as to the controls to implement when operating an elevated work platform on an incline;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Faulty and defective plant.
- Accessing and working from the basket of an elevated work platform.
- Information contained on a data plate or load chart.
- Job preparation and planning prior to operation.
- Alteration or modification of an elevated work platform.
- Pre-operational inspection.
- Operation of elevated work platform.
- Contact with overhead electrical parts.
- Movement of an EWP on a road, street, carriageway.
- Operation of EWP in a confined space.
- Vibration caused by operation of EWP.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for operation of an elevated work platform.
Return to elevated work platform
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements