Safe work method statement - Elevated work platform - Accessing areas
Accessing a work area from an EWP
Elevated work platforms are commonly used to access working platforms, aerial towers, buildings facades and other areas at a height to undertake construction or maintenance works.
- The nature of work/s to be undertaken and associated hazards shall determine the method by which persons shall access a working platform from an elevated work platform.
- Elevated work platforms are an effective and safe means of providing employees with access to work platforms, towers, etc.
Hazards and risks
Hazards associated with gaining access to a work area from the bucket of an elevated work platform would include but not be limited to:
- Damage to elevated work platform where persons have not been instructed as to the control measures to be implemented to eliminate or minimise risk;
- Persons are at risk of death where the elevated work platform has contact with overhead electrical services;
- Persons are at risk of falls from heights where controls are not employed to ensure safe access to a work area;
- Death or serious injury to persons where an elevated work platform fails due to ground subsidence not identified in a pre-start check;
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Identification and location of overhead and underground services.
- Working with faulty and defective plant.
- Positioning an EWP to gain access to a work area or platform.
- Accessing a work area or platform from the bucket of an EWP.
- Contact with overhead electrical parts.
- Vibration caused by operation of EWP.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for accessing a work area from an EWP.
Return to elevated work platform
Return to plant
Return to safe work method statements