Safe work method statement - Vehicles - Over dimensional loads
Oversize vehicle and load
An oversized vehicle or combination of vehicle and load would include but not be limited to:
- Where the width of a vehicle or combination of a vehicle and load exceeds 4.5 metres;
- If a vehicle exceeds imposed roadway mass/weight limits; or
- The size of a vehicle or combination of a vehicle and load is likely to interfere with overhead wires, bridges and other structures.
Tasks associated with the transport an over dimensional load would include:
- Identification of proposed route to transport dimensional load;
- Obtaining of permits from statute transport authorities and police for the transit of an over dimensional vehicle and/or load on a public road;
- Fitment of safety signage to over dimensional vehicles and/or loads;
- Fitment of warning lights and delineators to vehicles and/or loads;
- Fitment of warning patterns to over dimensional vehicles and/or loads;
- Escort of over dimensional vehicles and/or loads on a public road or carriageway by pilot and police vehicles;
- Conduct a hazard identification relative to the transport of an over dimensional load;
- Assess risk to persons involved with the transport of an over dimensional vehicle or combination of a vehicle and load.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Proposed route by which to transport an over dimensional load.
- Obtain permits from statute authorities for the transit of an over dimensional vehicle and/or load.
- Warning devices and signage appropriate to the vehicle transporting an over dimensional load.
- Compliant signage.
- Compliant warning lights and delineators.
- Compliant warning patterns.
- Pilot and police vehicles escorting an over dimensional vehicle and/or load.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for transport of over dimensional loads.
Return to heavy vehicles
Return to motor vehicle
Return to motor vehicles
Return to safe work method statements