Safe work method statement - General issues - Shiftwork and fatigue
Shiftwork and fatigue
Shift work includes both long-term night shifts and work schedules in which employees change or rotate shifts.
Tasks associated with the undertaking of shift work at a workplace include:
- Work rostering and scheduling as a preventative control measure for reducing the amount of night work;
- Access to and egressing from a workplace after hours;
- Assessment of work environment for hazards and risks;
- Establish a good sleep pattern and dietary habits;
- Communication between employees and persons at a workplace.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death or injury to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- No instruction as to administrative controls to be implemented.
- No instruction as to control measures to be implemented.
- Disturbed sleep patterns.
- Poor dietary and eating habits.
- Training requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for shiftwork arrangements.
Return to general issues
Return to safe work method statements