Safe work method statement - Excavation works - Work in vicinity of services
Work in vicinity of services
Persons undertaking excavation works or the hoisting of materials where overhead or underground services are present at a workplace, shall implement controls to eliminate or minimise the likelihood of contact with the service.
Tasks associated with working in the vicinity of services would include:
- Job preparation and planning prior to working within the vicinity of overhead or underground services;
- Establishing and maintaining an exclusion zone where excavation works is undertaken;
- Identification as to the nature and location of any underground services;
- Interpretation of a hoisting appliances load-rating chart;
- Lifting of materials within the vicinity of energised power lines;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with working within the vicinity of overhead or underground services;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when working within the vicinity of overhead or underground services;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Job preparation and planning.
- Establishing and maintaining an exclusion zone.
- Identification of underground services.
- Interpretation of load-rating chart for a hoisting appliance.
- Lifting of materials near energised power lines.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for work in vicinity of overhead and underground services.
Return to excavation works
Return to safe work method statements