Safe work method statement - Excavation works - Clearing of site
Clearing of site
The clearing of a site typically involves the removal of vegetation, trees and nominated buildings or structures in preparation for the commencement of construction works or bulk earthworks.
Tasks associated with the clearing of vegetation and trees would include:
- Job preparation and planning prior to the clearing of a site;
- Establishing an exclusion zone where overhead electrical services and electrical parts are present;
- Identification as to the nature and location of any underground services;
- Operation of earthmoving plant in the clearing of vegetation and trees;
- Clearing a site of vegetation and trees;
- Felling of trees using earthmoving plant;
- Protection of excavations e.g. self-supporting barricade;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with the clearing of vegetation and trees;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when clearing a site of vegetation and trees;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- job preparation and planning.
- Establishing and maintaining an exclusion zone.
- Identification of underground services.
- Operation of earthmoving plant in the clearing of vegetation and trees.
- Felling of trees.
- Protection of excavations.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for clearing of vegetation and trees.
Return to excavation works
Return to safe work method statements