Safe work method statement - Electrical - Lifting of electrical switchboards
Lifting of electrical switchboard
The installation and positioning of an electrical switchboard requires the manual lifting of a switchboard, or hoisting of a switchboard involving the use of a hoisting appliance e.g. mobile crane.
Tasks associated with the lifting of an electrical switchboard would include:
- Job preparation and planning prior to the lifting of an electrical switchboard;
- Establish exclusion zone where overhead electrical services and electrical parts are present;
- Determine the mass of an electrical switchboard to be lifted and interpret a load-rating chart for a hoisting appliance;
- Slinging of electrical switchboard to be lifted with a hoisting appliance;
- Lifting of electrical switchboard into position using a hoisting appliance;
- Working at heights when lifting an electrical switchboard;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with the handling and lifting of a switchboard, and handling of lifting gear associated with the lifting of a switchboard;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when handling lifting gear or hoisting a switchboard;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Lifting and positioning an electrical switchboard without having been involved in the planning process.
- Overhead electrical services and electrical parts within an exclusion zone.
- Hoisting appliance operator not able to interpret a load-rating chart.
- Determine mass of a load to be lifted.
- Slinging of electrical switchboard to be lifted.
- Lifting of electrical switchboard into position using a hoisting appliance.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for lifting of electrical switchboard.
Return to electrical works
Return to safe work method statements