Safe work method statement - Electrical - Erect cable tray and ladder systems
Erection of cable tray/ladder system
Cable trays are erected for the purpose of carrying and supporting electrical cables between a power source and an article or item of electrical equipment.
- Cable trays can be installed in a vertical or horizontal application.
- A support for a cable tray should be capable of supporting the load.
Tasks associated with the erection and installation of a cable tray/ladder system include:
- Job preparation and planning prior to erection and installation of cable tray;
- Cutting of materials used in the erection of a cable tray;
- Erection and fixing of a cable tray/ladder system;
- Operation of power operated plant for cutting of cable tray materials;
- Drilling of materials to support cable tray/ladder;
- Installation of hangers to support cable tray;
- Fixing of cable tray materials in the erection of a cable tray/ladder;
- Working at heights when erecting cable tray;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with the handling and cutting of cable tray materials;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when handling and cutting cable tray materials;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Erection of cable tray without having been involved in the planning process.
- Cutting of materials used in the erection of a cable tray.
- Erection and fixing of a cable tray/ladder system.
- Work at heights whilst erecting a cable tray.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for erection of cable tray/ladder system.
Return to electrical works
Return to safe work method statements