Safe work method statement - Electrical - Cut PVC electrical conduits
Cutting of PVC electrical conduits
Electrical conduits are primarily used to carry electrical cables between a power source and an appliance.
- PVC conduit shall where necessary be cut to a required length using either conduit cutters, hacksaw or power operated plant.
Tasks associated with the cutting of PVC electrical conduits include:
- Measuring and marking length of conduit to be cut;
- Use of conduit cutters to cut PVC conduit to a required length;
- Use of hack saw to cut PVC conduit to a required length;
- Pre-operational inspection of power operated plant used to cut PVC conduits;
- Selection of correct cutting blade or disc to cut PVC conduits;
- Operation of power operated plant for the cutting of PVC conduits;
- Controlling hazards generated by the operation of power operated equipment in the cutting of PVC conduits;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with the handling and cutting of PVC conduits;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when handling and cutting PVC conduits;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Measuring and marking length of conduit to be cut.
- Use of conduit cutters to cut PVC conduit to a required length.
- Use of hack saw to cut PVC conduit to a required length.
- Working with faulty or defective power operated plant to cut conduits.
- Incorrect cutting blade or disc fitted to power operated plant.
- Guards not fitted or installed to power-operated plant.
- Alteration or modification of an article or item of power-operated plant.
- Pre-operational inspection of power operated plant.
- Operation of power operated plant to cut conduits.
- Dust particles generated through operation of power operated plant to cut conduits.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for cutting of PVC electrical conduits.
Return to electrical works
Return to safe work method statements