Safe work method statement - Concreting - Place concrete with a concrete pump
Placement of concrete with a pump
The placement and delivery of concrete to a given area e.g. floor slab is typically undertaken with a concrete boom pump.
- A concrete pump operator handles the delivery line in the placement and delivery of concrete to a given area.
Tasks associated with the placement and delivery of concrete using a concrete pump include:
- Assessment of work environment for hazards and risks e.g. overhead services;
- Protection of exposed steel reinforcement;
- Handling of cementitious materials e.g. concrete;
- Set-up of a concrete pump for the placement and delivery of concrete;
- Controlling the movement of concrete trucks discharging concrete to the hopper;
- Inspect and monitor formwork and false work during the delivery and placement of concrete;
- Working with a concrete boom pump to place and deliver concrete;
- Working at heights whilst placing and delivering concrete;
- Establishment of working platforms e.g. scaffolding.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Exclusion zone for overhead electrical services and electrical parts.
- Protection of exposed steel reinforcement bars.
- Controlling exposure to cementitious materials.
- Placement and delivery of concrete using a concrete pump.
- Collapse of formwork and false work during placement of concrete.
- Working at a height greater than 2 metres without fall protection.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for concreting services - Placement of concrete with a concrete pump.
Return to concreting services
Return to safe work method statements