Construction of external timber deck
A timber deck is a structural framework comprising of a series of columns and beams supporting a number of floor joists, clad with timber decking materials.
Tasks associated with the construction of a structural timber framed deck clad with decking materials include:
- Planning and set out of supporting columns, beams, joists, etc;
- Pre-operational inspection of plant used to cut timber materials;
- Operation of plant for the cutting of timber and decking materials;
- Working at heights erecting, positioning and fixing beams, joists, etc;
- Lifting and positioning of flooring components and materials using a crane and potentially within an established exclusion zone for an overhead electrical service or electrical part;
- Measuring length and cutting of timber framing components/materials;
- Erection, securing and temporary guying of floor beams and joists;
- Fixing and bolting of floor beams and joists;
- Inspection of completed timber framed flooring system;
- Securing and fixing of timber decking materials;
- Ergonomic issues with handling of timber and decking materials;
- Selection and use of personal protective equipment;
- Compliance with specific controls as per a regulation, code of practice;
- Assess the risk to workers cutting, erecting, positioning and fixing a structural timber framed deck clad with decking materials.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, serious injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with workers.
- Generation of hazards.
- Planning, set out, cutting, fixing and construction of a timber framed deck clad with timber decking materials.
- Pre-operational inspection of plant to ensure it is in good order.
- Selection and inspection of cutting blade.
- Cutting of timber frame components or decking material.
- Measuring and marking timber or decking material to be cut.
- Working at heights requiring an EWP, fall arrest system, etc.
- Working in an established exclusion zone for an electrical part.
- Lifting of flooring components and decking materials using a crane.
- Selection of lifting gear.
- Erection, securing and temporary guying of timber frame components.
- Connection and bolting of structural components.
- Laying and fixing of timber decking materials.
- Ergonomic issues identified with the construction of a timber framed deck.
- Controls when handling, decanting or using a hazardous chemical, substance or product.
- Hazardous manual tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Compliance with specific controls imposed by a regulation or code of practice.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for Carpentry - Construction of timber framed deck.