Safe work method statement - Work at heights - Use of a stepladder
Set-up and use of a stepladder
A stepladder shall only be used to undertake light work tasks at a height, where other means of height access equipment (e.g. elevated work platform) is not available or not practicable to use given the circumstances.
- Stepladders shall only be used for short periods of time (e.g. 15 - 30 minutes).
- A stepladder should be high enough that a user does not have to stand higher than the third tread from the top plate.
Tasks associated with the setting up and use of a stepladder to undertake a light work task at a height would include:
- Determine compliance of stepladder to be used for gaining access to a height to performance a light work task;
- Carrying of equipment or materials when climbing a stepladder;
- Inspection of work area and stepladder for potential hazards;
- Set-up of a stepladder intended to be used for gaining access to a height;
- Use of a stepladder to gain access to a height for the purpose of performing light work tasks;
- Conduct a hazard identification of the immediate work area;
- Assess risk to persons setting up and using a stepladder to gain access to a height.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Use of a non-compliant stepladder to gain access to a height.
- Carrying of equipment or materials when climbing a stepladder.
- Failure to inspect work area for potential hazards.
- Failure to inspect stepladder for damage.
- Set-up of a stepladder to be used for gaining access to a height.
- Using a stepladder to gain access to a height to perform a light work task.
- Manual handling tasks.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for set-up and use of a stepladder.
Return to working at heights
Return to safe work method statements