Safe work method statement - Excavation works - Excavation of trenches
Excavation of trenches for services
The excavation of trenches for services e.g. electrical, water, sewerage, etc is undertaken as part of the construction works in connection with the construction of a building or structure.
Tasks associated with the excavation of trenches for services would include:
- Job preparation and planning prior to the excavation of trenches for services;
- Establishing an exclusion zone where overhead electrical services and electrical parts are present;
- Identification as to the nature and location of any underground services;
- Excavation of trenches for services with an article or item of earthmoving plant;
- Shoring, benching or battering of trench having depth greater than 1.5 metres;
- Protection of excavations e.g. self-supporting barricade;
- Manual handling and ergonomic issues associated with the set-out and excavation of trenches for services;
- Personal protective equipment required to be worn and/or used when setting out and excavating trenches for services;
- Housekeeping of a workplace and work area;
- Monitoring of control measures in the performance of the work task.
Safety procedure includes
Control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of death, injury or illness to persons are addressed in the safe work method statement as per the following sections.
- Consultation with employees.
- Generation of hazards.
- Job preparation and planning.
- Establishing and maintaining an exclusion zone.
- Identification of underground services.
- Operation of earthmoving plant in the excavation of trenches for services.
- Shoring, benching and battering of trench.
- Protection of excavations.
- Manual handling issues.
- Personal protective equipment requirements.
- Training requirements.
- Housekeeping requirements.
- Failure to monitor controls.
- Risk matrix and descriptors.
- Additional hazards, risks and controls.
- Approval and change management form.
- Sign-off for excavation of trenches for services.
Return to excavation works
Return to safe work method statements